THE PURPOSE OF GOD DEALING WITH ISRAEL AS HE DID WAS
ROMANS 11:26-32 #192
Charles e Whisnant, April 06 2014
HOW THE UNFOLDING OF THE SALVATION WAS FOR THE GLORY OF GOD
God has an incompernsive mind: Isaiah 55:8-9. This whole story of chapter 11 gives us the wonderful mind of God. Isaiah 7:19 and Psalms 92:5
The Purpose of the Sitting Aside of Israel: vs. 36 “The Glory of God.”
The ultimate purpose is not salvation, it is the only means to the ultimate purpose which is the glory of God. It is not the nation of Israel, it is not the Gentiles getting into the church, it is not the kingdom to which is to come, all those are a means to show the glory of God.
- Psalms 19; Isaiah 43:20; I Corinthians 10:31
What does it mean to glorify God?
- Acts 7:2, Isaiah 6(one of my favorite chapters)
God has a nature that can not be stripped of its nature.
- How to give God glory? By recognizing Him as God. And for God’s work: I Chronicles 16, Jeremiah 13:11, 16; Daniel 4, Acts 12. Isaiah 43:21
FOUR ATTRIBUTIES OF GOD:
1A GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY: 11:26A
AND THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS:
- (Isaiah 55:3; 59:21; Jeremiah 31:31-40; Hebrews 8:8,-10-12-Hebrews 10:16- (Isaiah 27:9; Hosea 14:2; John 1:29)
2A GOD’S INTERGITY: 11:26B, 27, 28, 29
FROM THE STANDPOINT OF THE GOSPEL THEY ARE ENEMIES FOR YOUR SAKEvs 28
- (Ro 11:11,30; Matthew 21:43; Acts 13:45,46; 14:2; 18:6; 1Thessalonians 2:15,16)
- Hebrews 10:23, Second Peter 3:9, Genesis 15:18, Isaiah 59:20-21
Gospel (2098)(euaggelion from eú = good + aggéllo = proclaim, tell) is literally good news or glad tidings. For a concise definition of the Gospel read 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
- “for your sake” takes us back to the 11 -12 where Israel’s stumbling was for the Gentile’s sake in that it made salvation available to the Gentiles.
BUT FROM THE STANDPOINT OF GOD’S CHOICE THEY ARE BELOVED FOR THE SAKE OF THE FATHERS: vs 28
- (Romans 11:7; Isaiah 41:8,9) (Genesis 26:4; 28:14; Leviticus 26:40-42; Deuteronomy 4:31; 7:7,8; 8:18; 9:5; 10:15; Psalms 105:8-11; Jeremiah 31:3; Micah 7:20; Luke
- I Chronicles 16:23- 36, First Timothy 1:17; Philippians 1:9-11, Second Corinthians 4:15, Acts 15:14; Ephesians 3:10 Deuteronomy 7:9; Second Timothy 2:15; Psalms 36:5; 119:38; First Thess. 5:24
3A GOD’S GENEROSITY: 11:30-32
FOR THE GIFTS AND THE CALLING OF GOD ARE IRREVOCABLE:
- Psalms 136; I Kings 8:6; Psalms 86:5; Luke 1:;78; First Peter 1:3. Psalms 59:16
- (Hosea 13:14) Mal 3:6 ) “For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
IN ORDER THAT BECAUSE OF THE MERCY SHOWN TO YOU (Gentiles) THEY (Jews) ALSO MAY NOW BE SHOWN MERCY:
- Mercy (1656)(eleos) is the outward manifestation of pity and assumes need on the part of those who are recipients of the mercy and sufficient resources to meet the need on the part of those who show it. The idea of mercy is to show kindness or concern for someone in serious need or to give help to the wretched, to relieve the miserable. Here the essential thought is that mercy gives attention to those in misery.
4A GOD’S INCOMPREHENSIBLE: 11:33
The wonderful doxology of praise to God for His unsearchable judgments.
Job 5:9 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.
Job 11:7 “Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
Job 15:8 Do you listen in on God’s council? Do you have a monopoly on wisdom?
Job 37:23 The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in his justice and great righteousness, he does not oppress.
Psalm 36:6 Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals.
Psalm 92:5 How great are your works, LORD, how profound your thoughts!
Psalm 139:6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Psalm 145:3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom
. Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 7:24 Whatever exists is far off and most profound– who can discover it?
Ecclesiastes 8:17 then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it.
Isaiah 28:29 All this also comes from the LORD Almighty, whose plan is wonderful, whose wisdom is magnificent.
Isaiah 40:28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. Romans 2:4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
1 Corinthians 2:10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
Ephesians 3:8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ,
Ephesians 3:10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms
, Colossians 2:3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.