THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TIME I HAVE DESIRED TO QUIT LOVING AND SERVING THE LORD; BUT THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES I HAVE DESIRED TO QUIT THE MINISTRY. I HAVE RESIGNED AND HAVE BEEN FIRED AND HAVE JUST LEFT, BUT NEVER QUIT ON THE LORD.
FROM 1947 TO 1996 WAS THE GREATEST TIME OF MINISTRY AT MY FATHERS CHURCH IN ROANOKE, VA.
FROM 1966 TO 1969 WAS IN SEMINARY.
- Grace Baptist Church
- Worth Baptist Church
- Southall Baptist Church
- Baptist Tabernacle
- West Handley Baptist
- Gideon Baptist Church
FROM MARCH 1970 TO MARCH 1980 WAS CERTAINLY AN EXPERIENCE.
- Wooster Baptist Church
- Madison Baptist Church
- Victory Baptist Church
- FBC of Haltom City Baptist
- Youth Camp
- Mansfield Baptist Temple
- Calvary Baptist Church
- First Baptist Church Hammond
- Wooster, OH, West Portsmouth, OH, Minford, OH, Grapevine, TX, Perrysville, OH, to Mansfield, OH, to Connersville, IN, to Crown Point, IN (College) 1974-1980
FROM MARCH 1980 TO JULY 1996 WAS THE BEST YEARS OF MINISTRY:
FBC in Altoona, Ks
FROM JULY 1996 TO JULY 2008 WAS THE WORST TIME OF MINISTRY.
- Ashland Ave Baptist
- Lusby Mills Baptist
- Princeton Baptist
- Portsmouth Baptist
- Bigelow Church
FROM JULY 2008 TO MARCH (Current) 2013 HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD
- Rivers of Joy Baptist Church
BRIEF HISTORY FROM JULY 1996 TO MARCH 2013:
- When I resigned FBC in Altoona, KS, I was not quitting ministry. From 1964 thru 1996 I was either a Youth Pastor or Pastor / Assoc. Pastor / Camp Director / Teacher / or in Seminary that is 32 years. When I left FBC I thought I was going to teach in a Bible College in Lexington KY. To my surprise that position did not happen. So from July 1996 to August 2001 I was in Ashland Baptist Temple doing very little in the way of ministry. I was for a while Property Manager for the church and than for a brief time a Adult Bible Class teacher. And for about six months the pastor of Lusby Baptist Church. Then in August 2001 we moved to Princeton, KY unto March 2002 where I had a brief four months pastor at Second Baptist Church. Then we moved to Portsmouth OH in March 2002 were I was Assoc. Pastor of the Portsmouth Baptist Church unto June 2004. Then from June 2004 unto July 2008 I went to a dozen churches, tried out at several, but finally joined Bigelow Church in Portsmouth OH. From November 2004 to January 2007. The experience I had at Bigelow Church just about put be out of ministry all together. I retired again. But in July 2008 I came out of retirement to pastor the Rivers of Joy Baptist Church in Minford, Ohio.
I was not ready to retire from ministry in 1996. When I moved to Lexington KY and did not get the position at the college I was not a happy person. But for the next five years I struggled to stay focus. Then when I did have opportunity to pastor, I was not suited for the two churches I was at. From July 1996 to July 2008 was a struggle. I can say this, the Lord would not allow me to quit, while I certainly would have had it not been for the Holy Spirit keeping me going in my spirit.
The pastor’s at Ashland Ave Baptist just flat out didn’t want me there, Lusby Mills the deacon was not just bad, the thirteen old ladies at Second Baptist just didn’t like me, then coming to Portsmouth Baptist the pastor wanted me to leave. Then at Bigelow Church, the pastor and elders just didn’t want me to be on the staff. So you would think I might have got the hint I was the trouble and should take another look at what I thought I was called to do. I certainly I did just that, and retired from ministry. The bus had ran over me more than I could stand I thought. I thought I was finished with ministry in a local church. A pastor in a local church is not welcome by the elders and pastors. Sad but very true pastors for the most part are so insecure in their position. And as it turns out they should have been, because they were fired themselves.
Well from some reason, the door was open at Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, even though the week before I went to the church the deacon said he was not interesting in me coming to try out for the position as pastor. And in two week from that phone call, I was preaching on a Sunday Morning, and have been every since, four years, eight months I have been preaching there. Just go figure. Gayla Mosley Poindexter Bill Rinehart