Let Man Not Separate Holy Spirit and Personal Accountability
Let Man Not Separate Holy Spirit and Sermon Delivery
As John MacArthur points out:
- No profession has as high a liability potential as that of one who preaches God’s Word.
- God will judge every preacher on the truthfulness and accuracy of his preaching.
When I read the qualification of what equips a man for preaching I am left in awl.
- Reverence for God
- Respect for the dignity of pastoral duty
- Good sense.
- Sound judgment.
- Clear and deep thinking.
- Love of reading.
- Commitment to diligent study and meditation.
- A good memory.
- Graceful command of words.
- Knowledge of society’s thinking.
Having the ability talent and efforts to
- Explain obscure passages of Scripture
- To resolve intricate applications of the Word to lives.
- To defend the truth against opposers.
Then the skill and ability to
- Teach doctrine.
- Expound on the deep things of God.
- Convince the stubborn mind.
- Capture the affections and will.
- Spread light over dark realities so as to eliminate the shadows of confusion.
- Detect the errors of his hearers.
- Convince their conscience.
- Stop their mouths
And do all this by teaching the Word of God